The Palm House
Katie Ireland Designs Co

The Palm House

Regular price £30.00 £0.00 Unit price per
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

The Palm House

Botanic Gardens, Belfast

Part of Katie's Belfast landmarks series.

  • A4 (210mm x 297mm)
  • A3 -(297 x 420mm)

Other sizes also available as print to order - get in touch to find out more. 

 

The foundation stone was laid by the Marquess of Donegall in 1839 and work was completed in 1840. It is one of the earliest examples of a curvilinear cast iron glasshouses in the world. Designed by Charles Lanyon and built by Richard Turner, Belfast's Palm House predates the glasshouses at Kew and the Irish National Botanic Gardens at Glasnevin, both of which Turner went on to build. The Palm House consists of two wings, the cool wing and the tropical wing. Lanyon altered his original plans to increase the height of the latter wing's dome, allowing for much taller plants. In the past these have included an 11 metre tall globe spear lily. The lily, which is native to Australia, finally bloomed in March 2005 after a 23-year wait. The Palm House also features a 400-year-old Xanthorrhoea.