The Ocean Buildings
The Ocean Buildings (now known as Pearl Assurance House)
Doors of Belfast Series
Part of Katie's Belfast landmarks series.
- A4 (210mm x 297mm)
- A3 -(297 x 420mm)
Other sizes also available as print to order - get in touch to find out more.
Designed by Young & Mackenzie Architects in the gothic-style for Ocean Accident & Guarantee Corporation Ltd. The building was built in red sandstone by Robert Corry at a cost of £30,000 between 1899 – 1902.
By 1922 the Ocean Accident & Guarantee Corporation only occupied the ground floor of the building. The newly formed Northern Ireland Government acquired the entire upper floor of the building in 1922 to accommodate the Ministry of Home Affairs. The Ministry relocated from the building by c1930.
Donegall Place Investments Ltd owned the building from at least 2004 until a company controlled by John Miskelly acquired the building in October 2007. The building was placed into receivership in 2015.
MJM Pearl Ltd acquired the building in October 2015.
MJM Group and RMI Architects submitted a listed building planning application (LA04/2019/0484/LBC) in March 2019 proposing to refurbish and extend the existing building to create a restaurant and cafe space across basement, ground and mezzanine floor, office accommodation at 1st to 4th floors and change of use of the 5th floor to create an apartment.