St Mary's Lighthouse - Newcastle upon Tyne
St Mary's Lighthouse
Newcastle upon Tyne
Part of Katie's Newcastle upon Tyne landmarks series.
- A4 (210mm x 297mm)
- A3 -(297 x 420mm)
Other sizes also available as print to order - get in touch to find out more.
St Mary's Lighthouse is on the tiny St Mary's (or Bait) Island, just north of Whitley Bay on the coast of North East England. The small rocky tidal island is linked to the mainland by a short concrete causeway which is submerged at high tide.
The lighthouse and adjacent keepers' cottages were built in 1898 by the John Miller company of Tynemouth, using 645 blocks of stone and 750,000 bricks. It was built on the site of an 11th-century monastic chapel, whose monks maintained a lantern on the tower to warn passing ships of the danger of the rocks.